Friday, February 17, 2017

I so enjoy the monthly faith art group

I'm in!
It's a great group that comes together and shares how they use their creativity in worship.

Each month I have a little devotional of some kind -  
And I try to share them here with you - 
Most times I'm inspired by scripture or a devotion I've read, but this month I found some art I loved [kind of reminds me of Christy's and Junelle's] so I searched for a scripture to go with it and found a wonderful devotional over at Porch Therapy Bible Study...
 
Here's the little hand-out for this month - feel free to copy and print full-size.
And you can trace if you want -  
It's a scan of what's in my Bible. 
 
Let's get started - 
As you can see here. I already had some things on the back of this page... So for the first time, I prepped my [Bible] page with WHITE gesso to create a bit of a barrier. 
[I also kind of love the way water colors look on gesso too...]
 
Then I used  my regular mechanical pencil to start sketching out my girl - a circle for the head... some rectangles for her body and veil... triangles for her crown...
 
I took a q-tip and smudged the lines a bit.. and started adding in some very watery blues... Note that I highlighted the verse [1 Peter 2:9] as well.
 
This is inspired by art from Tricia Robinson so I added in some reds and yellows as well.
When it looked a little too bold, I just added water to it so it would blend together a bit more... I also used a tiny little brush  with grey to define things a bit...
And I'll admit that I DID end up adding a bit of white acrylic to my page to cover some things I didn't love... But it's mostly done with these water colors...
I also used a marker to give the jewels on her crown a brighter color...
 
When I was happy with her I got out my trusty heat gun 
and made sure she was good and dry...
It's been 'round the block a few times...
 
Then I penciled in the letters... I actually started at the bottom and wrote backwards since I wanted the quote to be at the very bottom of her garment.
then I finished by tracing over the quote in pen and erasing the pencil lines...
She's a favorite,
And a reminder, for all of us...
  "I am the daughter of The King who is not moved by the world, 
For my God is with me and goes before me. 
I do not fear, because I am His.." 

1 comment:

Susan said...

Hi Judy, I love the daughter of the king girl! I love to watercolor over gesso because I can move colors and wipe off mistakes. I found an acrylic color that almost matches the Bible page. I will use it when I want to cover over a page. Sometimes I will use another color too like I did on the picture I just posted at my blog. I have a small group that I journal with. I got a planner, but don't have time to use it since we got a new puppy!